Just when you thought you knew all the benefits and uses of coconut oil, here comes a few you’ve never even heard of!
Coconut oil is an extremely versatile oil that’s been hailed from everything as a miracle hair treatment to a healthy-skin promoting treat for dogs.
You think you know everything about coconut oil, don’t you?
Although we’ll cover some of the basic applications of coconut oil here, we’re also including some uses and benefits you’ve no idea about.
Welcome to our complete guide of the uses and benefits of this amazing oil. I promise it’s your next soul mate!
15 benefits of coconut oil
The saturated fat of coconut oil (medium-chain fatty acids) is widely recognized to have a huge mass of health benefits. Although past research has shamed saturated fat, new research is showing how essential it is for life.
The best type of coconut oil to buy is organic, unrefined, and extra-virgin coconut oil. This is because the oil comes from raw coconut rather than dried coconut, and it therefore offers more benefits.
The following 15 benefits of coconut oil show just how fabulous coconut oil is for our bodies!
1. Protect against Alzheimer’s – Research shows that a diet high in healthy fats such as those from coconut oil can help protect the brain and prevent–and even reverse–cognitive decline.
2. Helps to burn fat – The fatty acids in coconut oil can actually help to burn more fat. This is because instead of being stored as fat, the body uses these fats for energy and they’re easily digested by the body.
3. Helps digestion – Coconut oil can help heal leaky gut syndrome, decrease the inflammation of an irritated gut, and even reduce the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
4. May reduce risk for diabetes – Research shows that coconut oil can help people build up an insulin resistance, therefore reducing the risk for diabetes.
5. Helps combat obesity – Studies show coconut oil can help reduce obesity, especially around the abdomen.
6. Boosts immunity – Coconut oil contains antiviral compounds and is also antifungal. It helps to support a healthy immune system.
7. Increases metabolism – By providing an easily-used energy source, coconut oil can help to burn fat rather than harbor it!
8. Reduces hunger and sweet cravings – Coconut oil can help combat sweet cravings–although it smells and tastes sweet, it’s actually not. Coconut oil can also help reduce hunger cravings, research shows.
9. Supports healthy hormone production – Coconut oil may help to support healthy hormones, especially in women.
10. Supports magnesium and calcium absorption – Coconut oil can help our bones and teeth by helping our bodies better absorb magnesium and calcium.
11. Gets rid of cellulite – When you use coconut oil regularly, it can help decrease the appearance of cellulite for smoother skin!
12. Reduces allergy symptoms – Because coconut oil is anti-inflammatory as well as an immune system booster, it can help to reduce your seasonal allergy symptoms as well as other allergy-induced symptoms such as red flaky skin from a food allergy or intolerance.
13. Enhances cognitive function – The medium-chain fatty acids in coconut oil provide your brain with readily available energy and can help enhance cognitive function!
14. Lowers your LDL cholesterol – LDL is your bad cholesterol, and coconut oil can help to lower it!
15. Combats wrinkles – The fatty acids in coconut oil can help strengthen your skin’s connective tissue and repair damaged skin. The proteins can also help to prevent wrinkles!
The 50 ways to use coconut oil
Are you ready to be amazed even more? These 50 ways to use coconut oil will have you buying the Costco-sized tubs. Don’t worry, soon you’ll be hooked and your body, home, and pooch will be reaping the benefits!
1. As a moisturizer. Just apply to face and body as is!
2. Wound healer. Coconut oil’s antibacterial properties can help prevent infection and promote healing on the skin, studies show.
3. Butter replacer. Vegans, rejoice! Coconut oil is the ultimate butter replacer in your favorite cupcake recipes.
4. For a healthy pooch. Coconut oil can help keep your dog’s coat healthy, be used to clean their ears, and even help soothe allergy symptoms such as an itchy coat.
5. Repel mosquitos. Coconut oil can be used in combination with other essential oils to help repel those pesky bloodsuckers!
6. Prevent stretch marks. The deep moisturizing nature of coconut oil can help to prevent stretch marks and reduce the appearance of the ones you already have.
7. As a toothpaste. Just mix with baking soda, some essential oils, and trace minerals if you have cavities. You’ll be surprised how well this homemade toothpaste works!
8. As an ice cream. Forget coconut milk ice cream–using coconut oil in ice cream gives it an amazing texture and flavor with some healthy fats.
9. Sunscreen. Coconut oil has a low SPF, but combined with other amazing oils, you can have an awesome sunscreen that’s totally natural without any toxic ingredients.
10. Diaper rash ointment. Because coconut oil is antibacterial and deeply moisturizing, it can help heal and protect your baby’s bottom!
11. Massage oil. Since coconut oil is more easily absorbed into the skin, it makes an excellent massage oil. Pair with a few drops of your favorite essential oil.
12. Hair conditioner. As a hair conditioner, you can leave coconut oil in for a few hours or even overnight for a deep conditioning. Use these remedies to get coconut oil out of your hair the next morning!
13. Deodorant. Store-bought deodorants can be pricey, but when you use natural ingredients that you have at home, it’s completely economical. Pair with arrowroot powder, shea butter, and essential oils for your own custom deodorant!
14. Cleansing oil. Wash your face with coconut oil? Yes! It’s moisturizing and can help clean your skin. Give it a try!
15. Cooking. Obviously, coconut oil is a wonderful cooking oil, adding flavor and healthy fats to virtually any dish.
16. Shaving cream. Ever tried using coconut oil as a shaving cream? It can give you a closer shave and you can moisturize at the same time!
17. Makeup remover. Get rid of that stubborn mascara and eyeliner with coconut oil.
18. In smoothies. Coconut oil is a fabulous addition to smoothies, providing extra taste and healthy fats.
19. As a lubricant. That’s right–coconut oil can be used as a safe lubricant without causing irritation or disruption to healthy vaginal bacteria. Just be sure you never combine this lubricant with condoms–the oil can cause the condom to stretch and break!
20. In coffee and tea. If you haven’t tried this, you’re missing out. Adding a spoonful of coconut oil to your coffee or tea can provide extra energy in the morning and tastes divine.
21. Treat yeast infection. Since coconut oil is antifungal, it’s adept at clearing up yeast infections and reducing the amount of candida in the body. Although candida is a natural yeast that’s present in our bodies, some people have excess candida in their systems.
22. Oil pulling. Swishing coconut oil around in your mouth for 15-20 minutes every morning can help promote healthy teeth and gums and even heal cavities.
23. Eczema natural remedy. As one of the natural eczema remedies I recommend, you can apply a thin layer of coconut oil on your eczema flare up–its anti-inflammatory properties and healthy fats will help.
24. Acne remedy. To help hydrate skin and clear up acne, try applying coconut oil on clean, dry skin.
25. Promote healthy hair growth. By nourishing your hair, coconut oil can help to grow more hair, faster!
26. Use topically to take the itch out of chicken pox, poison ivy, and bug bites. Coconut oil can help relieve itching and heal your skin when you’re suffering from these ailments!
27. Get rid of lice. Coconut oil basically stops lice in their tracks because it’s so slippery, but it also virtually suffocates lice.
28. Boost energy by adding to your natural energy drink. You can add coconut oil to your natural energy drink with chia seeds for an extra energy boost.
29. Eat to ease a sore throat. Coconut oil can be very soothing on a sore throat, especially when combined with licorice. Try a licorice tea with coconut oil in it!
30. Lip balm or lip tint. Have you ever made your own natural lip balm or lip tint? All you need is coconut oil, shea butter, and some essential oils! For a lip tint, try adding natural mica powder for a shimmer and shine unlike anything you find at the store.
31. As a lotion. You can make your own lotion or body butter with coconut oil. Use coconut oil straight or whip it with shea body to create a fantastic body butter. Customize your own scent with essential oils.
32. As a mouthwash. By rinsing your mouth for a minute or two with coconut oil and a dash of peppermint essential oil, you’ll have an easy and healthy mouthwash for your smile.
33. As an exfoliator. Combining coconut oil with coffee grounds and coconut sugar can give you a fantastic body scrub that exfoliates and moisturizes at the same time.
34. As a laxative. The medium-chain fatty acids in coconut oil kick-start your metabolism and soften your stool, acting as natural and effective laxative.
35. Remedy for Athlete’s foot and other fungus. Since coconut oil is antifungal, it’s an effective treatment for Athlete’s foot as well as other fungal infections.
36. Soothe cold sores. Because coconut oil is antiviral, it can help with cold sores. To use, simply apply the oil topically to the affected area a few times a day or take coconut oil internally.
37. Relief from sore nipples. Breastfeeding is beneficial for both you and your baby, but sore nipples can be an awful consequence. Nourish those sore baby feeders with coconut oil after your baby nurses!
38. Remove sticky gum. Removing gum can seem impossible, but with the application of coconut oil, it’s easy!
39. Relief from chapped lips and noses. You can apply coconut oil topically to chapped lips or noses when you have a cold to restore moisture.
40. Add to your bath. Adding coconut oil to your bath along with Epsom or magnesium salts can help moisturize your skin and create an allover glow that you’ll feel when you emerge!
41. As an arthritis healer. Since coconut oil is anti-inflammatory, it can help relieve arthritis pain. You can eat it as well as apply topically.
42. Ease coughing. Coconut oil can help stave coughing from a cold or respiratory infection by soothing your throat, and it’ll help boost your immunity too!
43. For your car. Using coconut oil to moisturize leather, gloss over dents or scratches, and create fantastic sheen and smell for your vehicle is great!
44. Stop feeling cold. Coconut oil can help to increase circulation in the body through its healthy fats, which helps rev up your metabolism to burn energy. You can also use it as a massaging agent to stimulate blood flow.
45. As a tattoo moisturizer. New ink? Forget those store-bought creams. Nourish your new investment with some organic coconut oil. Just apply a thin layer and follow your tattoo artist’s instructions after that!
46. Cure dandruff. By leaving coconut oil in your hair overnight, you can effectively cure dandruff!
47. Stop squeaky doors. Squeaky doors don’t give anyone peace of mind. Apply a few drops of coconut oil to the hinges and forget about it.
48. Baking. When a recipe tells you to grease the pan, don’t reach for that cooking spray made with GMO canola oil and petroleum. Instead, use coconut oil!
49. Marinate meat. If you’re paleo or just like to consume some grass-fed beef, try marinating your beef or other meat in coconut oil with some herbs and pink Himalayan sea salt.
50. Natural mascara. You can use a clean mascara wand to apply coconut oil to your eyelashes for natural and effortless mascara!
Since we love coconut so much, here are 5 fun facts about the coconut.
Fact #1: Coconut palm trees can grow up to almost 100 feet tall. These trees are so tall that sometimes people are hurt harvesting them.
Fact #2: They hail from the beach. Coconut palm trees grow on the beach in areas that are sunny, but also receive lots of rain.
Fact #3: Coconuts are actually seeds from their tree. They are technically drupes, which are fruits that have a hard outside that shelter the seed inside. Other examples of drupes include plums and cherries.
Fact #4: The name coconut came from Portuguese sailors. These sailors likened the face of the coconut to that of a grinning one, and so deemed it “coco” in their language. Coconut was later adopted by the English language.
Fact #5: There’s no proof about where it came from. Some researchers believe Polynesia is the origin, but there’s no actual proof about where the coconut originated from. It’s a mystery!
The uses for coconut oil are endless, and they provide a variety of health benefits for your home and body. You can use coconut oil for just about anything!
Give some of these 50 uses a try. From protecting your brain to protecting your baby’s bottom, coconut oil really is one of the most amazing oils out there for so many reasons. So until the research catches up, enjoy this white fluffy miracle!
What are some of your favorite uses for coconut oil? Do you love it as much as we do? Let us know!